Howdy, partners. Character Round-Up! focuses on thrilling stories about characters that use the Six Pillars of Good Character to make sure their wild adventures come to a happy conclusion.
This year the Old Creamery Theatre wants to hear your creative original story about a character or characters that learn a lesson involving one or more of the Six Pillars of Character.
All entries must:
- Be an original work from the imagination of a student or students in grades 1 - 6.
- Be in the form of a story, poem, song, or play.
- Be kept to a maximum of five typewritten pages.
- Have a lesson or moral that includes one or more of the Six Pillars of Character.
For more information about CHARACTER COUNTS! and a detailed description of each of the six pillars, please visit https://charactercounts.org/program-overview/six-pillars/
STORY WRITING TIPS
A good story:
- Has a beginning, middle and end.
- Is creative (and comes solely from the student’s imagination).
- Has interesting characters.
- Tells the reader where the story takes place.
- Deals with a conflict (or problem) that is resolved by the end of the story.
- Teaches a lesson or has a moral.
- Explains how the characters have changed or been affected by events in the story.
- Each entry must include the entrant’s name(s) and grade, as well as the school’s name, address, and phone number. Make sure that emailed submissions include this information too!
- Students are free to work on stories individually, in pairs, small groups, or as a class project.
- Teachers are encouraged to check entries to make sure the requirements are met and to provide basic feedback associated with any creative writing project.
- No entries will be returned and all works become property of the Old Creamery Theatre.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST
MAIL ENTRIES TO:
Old Creamery Theatre Writing Contest
39 38th Ave
Amana, IA 52203
EMAIL ENTRIES TO:
Please send all email submissions as word documents or pdf attachments. (No Google Docs, please. We've had past problems with permissions.) If you don’t receive a confirmation email back within a week of submission, your entry was not received. Contact us by phone so we can resolve technical issues. 319-622-6034, ext. 112
All entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than January 14, 2019. Early submissions are encouraged! Each entry will be read and evaluated and the final selection of winners will be made by February 18, 2019. Winning story titles will be posted on the Old Creamery’s website.
Prizes will be awarded in the form of bookstore gift cards. In the event that a winning entry is the result of a team effort, The Old Creamery will divide the prize equally. In the case of a larger group, the prize will be given to the group’s supervisor to distribute as he or she sees fit.
1 Grand Prize: $100 Gift Card
3 First Prizes: $75 Gift Card
5 Second Prizes: $50 Gift Card
10 Third Prizes: $25 Gift Card
Entries submitted to the 2019 Writing Contest may be freely adapted by the Old Creamery Theatre Company. While remaining faithful to the idea, purpose, and intent of the young writer, we reserve the right to use their work in any manner that is consistent with our mission of bringing a high-quality, live, professional theatrical experience to our young audiences. This includes editing for length, creating new dialogue, adding music, and making changes in the material if such changes enhance the dramatic or entertainment value of the piece. Also understand that not all prize-winning stories will be performed and some material used in the final production may receive a special recognition rather than a monetary award.
Character Round-Up! will be touring from February 18th through May 17th, 2019. For more information or to schedule a performance please contact Jackie McCall at 319-622-6034 ext. 112 or firstname.lastname@example.org